“Before their first words” is a multimedia science tool for communicative development in the first year of life. This website promotes awareness and provides observation tools for parents and educators interested in language and communicative development.
“Before their first words” is a RecerCaixa project that brings together the Prosodic Studies Group (GrEP) of Pompeu Fabra University(UPF), and the Attention, Perception and Language Acquisition Laboratory (SALW) of the University of Barcelona. The project was carried out in collaboration with Dr. Danielle Matthews, University of Sheffield.
Prosodic Studies Group
Universitat Pompeu Fabra
Laboratory of Speech Perception, Attention, and and Language Acquisition Universitat de Barcelona
In collaboration with:
- Laura Bosch, Universitat de Barcelona
- Chris Fennell, University of Ottawa
- Ulf Liszkowski, Universität Hamburg
- Danielle Matthews, The University of Sheffield
- Thierry Nazzi, CNRS-Université Paris-Descartes
- Mits Ota, The University of Edinburgh
- Eugenio Parise, Lancaster University
- Diane Poulin-Dubois, Concordia University
- Pilar Prieto, ICREA – Universitat Pompeu Fabra
- Melanie Soderstrom, University of Manitoba
- Sandra Trehub, University of Toronto
Scripts and audiovisual:
With thanks to:
Website funded by the RecerCaixa 2012-14 (project name “The precursors of language. A guide for parents and educators”) with a contribution from The Nuffield Foundation (project name: “Does promoting parents’ contingent talk benefit infants’ language development?”).
We are grateful to Santiago González Fuente, Lindes Farré and Helena Chaytow for their help with the text and audiovisual materials, and especially to all the families who have participated in the recordings.